Saturday, January 22, 2011

First day of class

It is 48 degrees, sunny, and dry outside for the first time in quite sometime here in the beautiful Portland metropolitan area and I am stuck inside taking a six hour class on “Leading with Instructional Technology.” As I woke up this morning thinking about my long day ahead, after a home basketball game and dance last night, I dreaded spending my Saturday inside and listening to a professor pontificate on his/her expertise or interests. However, fortunately twelve upbeat fellow students and professionals greeted me and brought with them a diverse background in educational leadership and technology. In addition, our instructor is an upbeat positive personality with a passion for the integration of technology in education.

As the morning quickly went by I was amazed at the wealth of ideas being shared among our relatively small group and was introduced to a wide variety of excellent resources for my future investigation. However, the most thoughtful experience today was viewing the video of Sir Robinson on the changing landscape of our society and how schools need to adapt to before we lose millions of children and their precious minds in our current "old paradigm". This video, and/or the RSA that corresponds with it will be great tools to use with our faculty to continue our discussions on how to adapt and change to our students of today. I will keep you posted if I have the time to share with our staff…

3 comments:

  1. I was a high school VP for 2 years and it was 2 years too long! I feel for you with those night time commitments. I don't blame you in the least for not feeling very "excited" about coming to class on a Saturday. I agree with you though - it was great to come home from a class and not have one thing to complain about. I really enjoyed my time and speaking of time - it flew by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felt the same way about being indoors on Saturday during such wonderful weather. Glad you're in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement! Glad you enjoyed the Robinson vid. He's someone I've enjoyed listening to and encourage you to learn more about him. I'll be sharing another video on Saturday about a study done in the slums of India a few years ago--and the amazing learning that came out of it. See you Saturday and good luck to the Rangers Friday night against Madras!

    ReplyDelete